In this episode we are joined by Jenny Fielding Managing Director at Techstars a global venture capital fund for innovative tech startups. Jenny has extensive experience in both the startup and corporate worlds and a strong passion for “marrying startups with corporates” to create innovation and cultural shifts.
In this episode we cover:
- Jenny’s extraordinary success scaling and exiting her first startup Switch-Mobile in three years
- How she moved a legacy organisation like BBC into the new digital era and founded BBC Labs, the UK’s first corporate incubator.
- Why infusing corporate and startup culture is so powerful and how she continues to do it at Techstars with her IoT dream team including the likes of GE, Bosch, Verizon, SAP and PWC.
What we learned:
- Why listening to those from all levels of the organisation is so important in effectively innovating.The virtue of listening is also explored by previous guests Robert Cialdini and Kevin Kelly.
- How potent and powerful the idea of bringing people together from different worlds can be and how it can be done effectively. A point also recognisable in our Innovation Leadership Circle which brings together leaders from different industries to address issues they are facing together.
- How the startup scene has been hugely idealised and why it’s important to talk openly about the struggles founders face and how it differs from the corporate world.
What Was Covered
[3:15] Why did Jenny make the switch from lawyer to co-founding startups?
[10:00] How did Jenny get involved with BBC Worldwide?
[13:05] There wasn’t a lot of resistance for innovation at the top level, but there certainly were some challenges on the mid-levels at BBC.
[18:55] How did Techstars catch Jenny’s attention?
[21:50] What makes Techstars different from other accelerators?
[28:20] What kind of struggles are founders experiencing right now?
[29:55] Jenny recommends that founders surround themselves with mentors who have already been there and done that.
[31:30] What has Jenny changed her mind about recently?
[33:15] What does Jenny do to remain creative and innovative?
[35:20] What does Jenny attribute her success to, in life?
Connect with Jenny
Subscribe & Review
Did you enjoy the show? Subscribe on iTunes & share your thoughts!
- Click this link – Innovation Ecosystem
- Click on the ‘Subscribe’ button below the artwork
- Go to the ‘Ratings and Reviews’ section
- Click on ‘Write a Review’
Connect with us!
We would love to continue the discussion on your favourite social media platform!